Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Stupid Boi had Committed Microbicide

Microbicides…what does that mean? A microbicide is any compound or substance whose purpose is to reduce the infectivity of microbes, such as viruses or bacteria. Why yes, I did just give you a vocabulary lesson! Why am I talking about this? That is what I am doing at this moment.


You see children; Stupid Boi is on another adventure. This time I headed to Pittsburgh, home of the 2010 International Conference on Microbicides. In my line of work Microbicides are an important new technology being developed to prevent HIV transmission. Right now, Microbicides are in clinical trials all over the world!


What does this mean for you? Well, first of all, Microbicides give Women the power over HIV infection. It allows us to provide another way to prevent infection. It is under the same context that if you do not want to get pregnant you should use condoms and birth control right? Two prevention methods are better then one. This will also give Women the power to protect themselves in a discreet manner.

So why do I care? As a young gay man, I feel that is very important that we protect ourselves from HIV. Although, I do not have a vagina…I have an anus! There is advocacy and clinical work going on to develop Rectal Microbicides. This is very important in a community that sometimes forgets condoms.


Like I said before this is an international conference; there are people here from all over the world. One thing that I found funny was that someone came to the computer station I was at looking for the bus schedule. When I asked him where he was going, he said…Wal-Mart! He has never seen a Wal-Mart, and to him to complete his journey to the U.S. he has to go to Wal-Mart!


Another thing that I noticed was that, no matter where you are from…you have a Facebook page! I see so many people checking Facebook. I feel a little better about my addiction to it now!


If you want to learn more about Microbicides please check out:


The Global Campaign for Microbicides
International Rectal Microbicides Advocates

No comments: